WARGRAVE WOLVES U16 v Ascot United U16 Raiders



26/02/202211:15East Berkshire Football Alliance2021-2022



Raiders travelled to Wargrave this morning to play newly promoted Wargrave Wolves. Despite enjoying the majority of possession and chances, defensive errors allowed Wargrave to snatch all three points.
The match kicked off 30 mins late due to a serious injury in the previous match. Raiders however were soon on the front foot and forced Wargrave back and a couple of half chances came and went, Euan shooting wide after a Jack free kick and Cory shooting over a minute later. At the other end a run from midfield was only thwarted by a last-ditch tackle from James. The Wargrave keeper was in tip top form and on 9 mins produced the first of two great saves, leaping to his left to palm away a great shot from Kyran that looked destined for the top corner. Hari then had a header come back off the post. Raiders were beginning to pass the ball well and Euan put another chance wide when played through. The Raiders defence had to be alert as Wargrave still posed a threat with Jimbo defending well, while the Wargrave keeper produced another stunning save from Harry, somehow managing to scoop the ball over the bar (but I’m not sure he knew too much about it)!. Despite the pressure Wargrave were still able to carve out a couple of decent chances one of which they should have taken! HT0-0

Reverting to 4-4-2 Raiders found themselves playing against the breeze and created the first chance of the half when Freddie played Euan through who was subsequently flagged offside. With Raiders pressing and playing a high line, Wargrave came more into the game and one of their midfielders crashed a shot against the bar with Musty well beaten. Harry was then sin binned on 55 mins for back chat to the referee, Raiders down to 10 for 8 mins. Despite this Jimbo shot just over from some great wing play by Rufus. The stalemate was ended on 64 mins when a long kick from the keeper found Raiders short at the back and the nippy striker outpaced the defence to slot the ball past a hesitant Musty. Raiders’ response was to ‘roll up their sleeves’ and fight for an equaliser which came on 68 mins courtesy of a run down the left by Finlay, who provided a great cross into the 6 yard box where Harry slid in to poke the ball home. On 71 mins after having got back on level terms, some half-hearted tackling allowed the Wargrave player to wriggle past three defenders and score. Still Raiders refused to give up and fashioned one last chance when a cross from the right found Finlay in acres of space a yard from goal……. unfortunately his first time shot managed to hit the defender standing on the goal line!!
Final score 2-1 to Wargrave and Raiders dismal run in the second half of the season continues with 4 games left to play, one of which is a tasty game against Whitegrove on the 19th March.

Match score avilable soon
Referee to be confirmed