Yellamen win 5-0 at Wallingford and Crowmarsh

Ascot United romped to a 5-0 at Wallingford and Crowmarsh on Monday after a devastating first half display. Ascot scored all the goals inside the opening 45 minutes and although the home side rallied after the break they couldn’t find a way past Rhys Forster as The Yellamen move to within a whisker of the league title.

Wallingford were impressive in the reverse fixture which will be remembered for home ‘keeper Jamie Ashdown’s incredible penalty save before his Ascot side went on to win, but it was otherwise good form since the turn of the year which had guaranteed the Oxfordshire side safety from relegation.

But there were still points to play for on Easter Monday, including those that would move The Yellamen to the brink of the title; 11.30 am and battle commenced at a soggy Hithercroft stadium.

Ascot were simply devastating in a first-half display for which the home side had no answer.

Alfie Grant had already gone close with two headers – the latter well saved by a back-pedalling Sam Baldock – whose goal also led a charmed life in the face of a fifteenth minute scramble in the six yard box.

Chris Ellis then turned provider for Kai Walters who dragged wide, but the avalanche started when Callum Young scythed down Keaton August in the box (pictured,; Marcus Mealing finding the corner to make it 1-0 with 23 minutes played.

Harry Laflin was tripped in the box five minutes later and stepped up to convert penalty number two, before then striking a post from Sean McCormack’s free kick two minutes later; Grant tapping home the rebound.

Another two minutes passed and it was four-nil, this time August showing good feet and playing in Mealing who carved out space for thunderbolt that took a deflection on its way past Baldock.

And if that wasn’t enough, Ascot completed a rout of five goals inside a twenty minute spell when Mealing flicked the ball out to McCormack on the right wing – he drew Baldock – and clipped the ball over him into the left hand corner.

Wallingford were much better after the interval and to their credit never gave up.

Forster saved well from Euan Aitchinson early-on albeit in an offside position but Ascot still created chances as August fired wide when clean through, before Laflin then headed wide.

At the other end, Luke Preen fired wide after Aitchinson had played him in before Forster got down well to save from a Joe Jones free kick; 70 minutes played.

Substitute Brendan Matthews’ first-time shot went straight at Baldock who also got down well to keep out Mealing’s late free-kick, although sandwiched between those efforts Forster produced the save of the game to block Preen’s effort at the far post after Romeo Nuzi had picked him out.

The sizeable number of travelling supporters then applauded their side off at the end of a fruitful Easter weekend.

If Egham Town fail to win at Virginia Water on Tuesday, then Ascot will be league champions.

Ascot United: Forster, Gerrard (Lock 46’), A. Grant, Bailey, McCormack (Lalustani 46’), Mealing, Balogun, Walters (H. Grant 57’), August (August 77’), Ellis, Laflin (Matthew 67’)




Yellamen in dreamland after beating Newport Pagnell Town Kai Walters wrote his name into Ascot United folklore after his 80th-minute header won the Isuzu FA

Ascot United Win FA Vase

Kai signs off with golden gift Ascot United won the Isuzu FA Vase at Wembley on Sunday, rounding of a memorable season by beating Newport